dealing with alsa

Ruth Shewmon rshewmon at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 28 14:21:02 UTC 2004

This is probobly the wrong mailing list to ask this
on, but here goes. I have an asus a7n8x motherboard
with an integrated sound card.  When I run the
soundcard detection program, it says: "The
snd-intel8x0 driver could not be loaded.  This
soundcard may not be compatible with Red Hat Linux."
This is strange because this same computer worked fine
with kernel 2.6 and alsa on Fedora core 1.  Even more
strange, lsmod shows that the snd-intel8x0 module is
loaded.  However, when I try to load the soundcore
module, I am informed that there is no such module.
So here's my question: what has changed?  Is there a
file in a different place?  Is soundcore compiled
right into the kernel instead of as a module?  My plan
of action now is to un-install the alsa-lib rpm and
just compile alsa and a new kernel myself, but before
I do, am I overlooking something really obvious?