yum broken; headers directory missing

Andy Ross andy at plausible.org
Sun Mar 28 17:41:27 UTC 2004

Michael Stenner wrote:
> I guess what I'm saying is that "broken" and "misconfigured" have
> very different connotations (to me, at least).  If this url appeared
> in the shipped yum package, then it is ABSOLUTELY a reportable bug.

You didn't even try to reproduce this, did you? :)

It's not a user level misconfiguration.  The headers directory has
disappeared from the master download server, and all the mirrors have
synced up and deleted their copies.  This is a rather serious bug: no
one will be able to use yum to update their systems until it is fixed.

But don't you worry: it's not yum's fault.  Yum is functioning exactly
as it should.  Users that report "yum update fails" are just mistaken,
and should be publicly mocked until they report the bug against the
download servers instead. :)

Whatever.  Honestly, I apologize for putting "yum" in the subject of
the message (even though I thought I made it clear what was going on
in the body, and even though that *is* the user-visible impact of the
bug).  Apparently there's a history here that I don't understand.

Still, someone needs to fix this.

Andy