yum broken; headers directory missing

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 28 17:47:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 09:41 -0800, Andy Ross wrote:

> Michael Stenner wrote:
> > I guess what I'm saying is that "broken" and "misconfigured" have
> > very different connotations (to me, at least).  If this url appeared
> > in the shipped yum package, then it is ABSOLUTELY a reportable bug.
>
> You didn't even try to reproduce this, did you? :)

I did and yes, the headers dirs are gone right now, They're not on the
mirror master either.

> It's not a user level misconfiguration.  The headers directory has
> disappeared from the master download server, and all the mirrors have
> synced up and deleted their copies.  This is a rather serious bug: no
> one will be able to use yum to update their systems until it is fixed.

Nor will they be able to use up2date to update their systems. All
michael and I have been trying to say is that this is not a bug IN YUM.
We're just trying to limit the number of messages we get from bugzilla,
nothing more.

this is not about mocking you, this is not about mocking or denigrating
users or anyone. This is about TRYING, apparently in vain, given the
length of this thread, to limit the time we will waste closing bugs b/c
of the error on the mirror master.

> Whatever.  Honestly, I apologize for putting "yum" in the subject of
> the message (even though I thought I made it clear what was going on
> in the body, and even though that *is* the user-visible impact of the
> bug).  Apparently there's a history here that I don't understand.
>
> Still, someone needs to fix this.

yes. It's been reported to the mirror people. It's a weekend, many
people are home with families and what not.

-sv