dealing with alsa

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Sun Mar 28 18:21:47 UTC 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 06:21:02 -0800 (PST), Ruth Shewmon wrote:

> This is probobly the wrong mailing list to ask this
> on, but here goes. I have an asus a7n8x motherboard
> with an integrated sound card.  When I run the
> soundcard detection program, it says: "The
> snd-intel8x0 driver could not be loaded.  This
> soundcard may not be compatible with Red Hat Linux."
> This is strange because this same computer worked fine
> with kernel 2.6 and alsa on Fedora core 1.

How did you configure your soundcard for ALSA on Fedora Core 1?  The same
should work on Fedora Core 1.9x unless you used alsconf.

> Even more
> strange, lsmod shows that the snd-intel8x0 module is
> loaded.

Fine.

>  However, when I try to load the soundcore
> module, I am informed that there is no such module.

soundcore.o is not ALSA, but OSS.

> So here's my question: what has changed?  Is there a
> file in a different place?  Is soundcore compiled
> right into the kernel instead of as a module?  My plan
> of action now is to un-install the alsa-lib rpm and
> just compile alsa and a new kernel myself, but before
> I do, am I overlooking something really obvious?

Difficult to comment on. When snd-intel8x0 is loaded, native
ALSA driver is loaded. Whether ALSA's OSS compatibility drivers
are loaded, too, you didn't say. That would need further
investigation.