smbfs won't mount

G. Vamsee Krishna vamsee_k at students.iiit.net
Sun Mar 28 20:26:51 UTC 2004

Hi,
	I've just finished installing Fedora Core 2 - Test 1 on my system.
The kernel 2.6.1-1.65, is small, fast and sweet. KDE 3.2 rocks. But the
problem is, I'm unable to mount smb filesystems from the network. I'm not
an expert at kernel hacking/debugging. The error message is something like
this:

# smbmount //IP/share /mnt/junk -o username=<some name>,password=<password>
ERROR: smbfs filesystem not supported by the kernel
Please refer to the smbmnt(8) manual page
smbmnt failed: 255

# modprobe smbfs
FATAL: Module smbfs not found.

I've had no such problems with Fedora Core 1. Now, how can patch things up
so that I can mount shares?

regards,
vamsee

--