Shrinking an LVM root filesystem?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 01:47:00 UTC 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, Steve Bergman <steve at rueb.com> wrote:

> I could reinstall, as I have not gone live with this server yet.  Is
> it possible to shrink / from rescue mode or something?

Yup.  Boot into rescue mode, the make sure the sysimage root is not
mounted and then resize2fs && lvm resize.  Since you're presumably
talking about FC2test, not FC1, you may have to lvm vgcfgbackup && lvm
vgcfgrestore to get the free PE count in the PV fixed (bug 112089,
fixed in LVM2 CVS but not yet in rawhide).

> Also, can I grow and shrink any  filesystem I desire, anywhere in the
> LVG no matter what the order in which I defined them?  i.e. is any
> free space in the LVG available to any filesystem in it?

Yup, that's the beauty of LVM.

> Oh, and while I'm asking questions, what is the status of ext2online
> and Fedora.

Last I tried, it didn't work.  No harm done, the syscall just failed.