HP zv5000z AMD64 Development Install fails

Brian Stretch bstretch at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 29 02:55:52 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: "Lewt @ Linux Warcry" <lewt at warcry.com>
Brian Stretch wrote:
>> I was able to get FC1 AMD64 to install on this HP zv5000z Athlon 64
>> nForce3 chipset notebook, but it locked up on reboot with the capslock
>> light blinking, possibly didn't read the GeForce 440 Go vidcard right?
>> The lockup was right about the time it ought to switch to X.  I did a
>> graphical install, no need for textmode, though the screen did go
>> out-of-sync for a few seconds at the tail end of the shutdown-to-reboot.
>>
>> The AMD64 devel tree from today and yesterday didn't get very
>> far.  I tried a NFS install from a local mirror of the duke mirror.  Fedora
>> says "no valid devices were found on which to create new file systems"
>> after I select manual partitioning with Disk Druid.  Then it reboots.
>> I tried acpi=off selinux=0 just for laughs, no diff.  Anyone have any
>> ideas before I bugzilla this?
>>
>> It can't detect the "mouse" either, which is an ALPS keypad, and I
>> didn't see an option to manually select it like I could with FC1.
>
> try running acpi=off in your grub..

Found it!  HP hasn't patched K8 Errata #93 in their BIOS yet.
Adding idle=poll is the workaround.
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-amd64/2003-Dec/0031.html

Also, video goes out of sync after X shuts down and FC1 drops to text
mode for the remainder of the shutdown sequence.  It's back in sync
when the machine boots again.

That gets FC1 up and running, but the development tree is still no-go.
Anyone?