console beep missing

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Mar 29 18:56:35 UTC 2004

Matthew Miller writes:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 01:45:31PM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > I can think of several workarounds. Point is, though, that it belongs in
> > /etc/modprobe.conf. And, the proper incantation should be documented in
> > the kernel source tree.
>
> As far as I know, modprobe.conf/modules.conf doesn't have any way of forcing
> a given module to load at boot time. It just gives options for modules
> whenever they happen to load. If nothing is telling the kernel that it needs
> to load the pc speaker module, modprobe.conf doesn't come into it....

Perhaps there isn't an alias for it. Point is, we need a way to havwe the beep. If there's some desire to allow this feature to be configurable on a per user basis, that's fine. But it doesn't seem as if anyone involved in making this change has thought very much about the impact the change is having.

So, back to the original question -- what's the right way to put the beep back? And, where's the doc for it.