A lot of problems with FC2 Test2 X64_64 - detailed description

Alessandro Polverini alex at nibbles.it
Tue Mar 30 14:15:21 UTC 2004

Hello,
I installed it on a Asus K8V Delux with Athlon63 3200+ CPU, with 2 EIDE
disks, 1 serial ATA disk, Sounblaster Audigy soundcard, GeForce
FX5600XT.

I had many blocking (and not) problems:

*** During the install***

- Anaconda (and partitioner) does not detect /dev/hda! It only sees
/dev/hdb and /dev/sda (sata disk)

- I usually choose english language, but I use italian keyboard, I was
not able to choose this one, but only the language

- anaconda, after install asks "reboot", but it does not reboot. I had
to use ctrl-alt-canc

- Anaconda is unable to enter graphic mode, and all the install is done
in text mode

*** After the boot ***
- In the file modprobe.conf there was a bad line:
alias  dmfe
without the ethernet device. This is strange since upper in the file
there was the correct line:
alias eth2 dmfe

- Kudzu starts and the kernel crashes completely telling (sorry. not
cut&paste):
Kernel bug at generic:664
Invalid operand: 0000[1]

- After disabling automatic start of kudzu, I tried to configure graphic
mode running system-config-display but it stops with this error:
file "/usr/share/system-config-fisplay/xconf.py" line 412, in ?
  hardware_state.merge_into(xconfig)
name error: name "hardware_state" is not defined

- system-config-soundcard is unusable because it needs X

- I loaded modules by hand, and then played a .ogg file with ogg123, I
got this error: "Floating Point Exception"

So, in practice, the system is unusable for me.

Thanks,
Alex

P.S.: If you reply, please include my address since I'm not subscribed
to the list.