kde and xfce

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Tue Mar 30 22:38:02 UTC 2004

This is mainly about FC2-T2 x86_64, kde, and xfce.  Running kde on FC2-T2 x86
is more or  less OK although a bit strange (what in the world are the little
"htt im" window boxes that follow the active window).

OK, this was a fresh install of FC2-T2 on an ASUS SK8V with an Opteron 140.  I
have been mostly using gnome/metacity but decided to give kde a try.  Oops,
it starts but then doesn't do much (cannot start terminal or do much of
anything but logout).  A couple of gray (blank) windows come up also.

I also gave xfce a try and it is pretty much the same ... cannot do anything
but logout.

This is NOT selinux related ... I booted up enforcing=0 (permissive) and it
worked the same way.

Before I spend a lot of time gathering info to report this, is this a known
problem?  I assume that there are some people who prefer to run kde out there
and have not seen any messages about this situation so I wonder if it is me
or my hardware that is the problem.
--
Gene