Updatet from Development tree - German "umlaute" are now missing in programs

Roland Wolters wolters.liste at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 00:13:03 UTC 2004

Hi,
after an update from the development tree (something around 80 packages)
several minutes ago, the german "umlaute" are broken inside KDE.
That applys to all saved data, like E-Mails, program-interfaces, menu-buttons,
but not to the manpages!

The Code in my /etc/sysconfig/i18n is set to LANG="de_DE.UTF-8", everything
worked fine before the update of the system from FC2T2 to Development.

At this moment I see that I am not possible to insert the "umlaute" into the
mail written inside contact - but in shell it works, in Konqueror and kwrite
too.
c&p from konqueror to kontact does not work...
The knewsticker shows the lines in the right way, if I open the right-klick
menu to see all the links, the links have the wrong codes (see below).
The short help for the kicker icons (if you move your mouse over them, you get
a smal yellow box with a little more information) shows the correct codes,
there I can read the "umlaute".
Maybe a KDE-special Problem?

Here is the replacement table:
ae is ä
AE is Ä
oe is ö
OE is Ö
ue is ü
UE is ü
ss is ß
euro-symbol is €

Maybe that helpes? Do other people have these problems?
Seems like KDE was copiled with ISO-8859-1, an not with UTF-8....

Roland