Another person's experience installing FC2 test 2

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Wed Mar 31 02:01:12 UTC 2004

I am running a dual boot Win2k/Fedora system. Originally formatted by
Win2k for the NTFS and Fat32 partitions and formatted by RH7/8/9 for the
ext3 and linux swap partitions.
I got the already known complaints during the install. I couldn't do a
hard disk install because I didn't have a driver. The CDROM install
warned about partition alignment problems.
I didn't upgrade my FC1 system but rather installed FC2 to an existing
ext3 partition which I bravely reformatted as reiserfs. The installation
went smoothly and rapidly.
Rebooting, I found to my annoyance, that the boot loader was overridden
and now pointed to somewhere that didn't have my fc1 configuration, thus
forcing me to do some grub.conf editting. But more seriously, with
selinux turned on, I couldn't start. init did not have the proper
permissions. Rebooting with selinux turned off, didn't help since there
was no inittab. Copying the inittab from fc1 didn't help since there was
no rc.d/rc.
How should I proceed?