install of kernel 2.6.4-1.298 does not work

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Wed Mar 31 15:50:48 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 22:58, Richard Hally wrote:
> when I ran up2date today it appeared to install kernel 2.6.4-1.298.
> There were no errors reported.  But it did not update grub as usual, it
> did not put any files in /boot, and when I do rpm -q kernel it does not
> show 2.6.4-1.298 (It shows the other kernels 253 etc)
> [root at old1 boot]# rpm -q kernel
> kernel-2.6.3-2.1.242
> kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253
> kernel-2.6.3-2.1.246
> kernel-2.6.3-2.1.253.2.1

I had similar problems. Clean install of test2 with selinux in enforcing
mode followed by a yum update. Many of the postinstall scripts reported
failures and after a reboot (to boot the new kernel that didn't get
installed) lots of things were very broken. Permissions on directories
in /var were all messed up (as root I couldn't cd to /var/log to try to
figure out what was going). So I did a clean install of test2 again,
setting selinux to warn only, and things are much happier. It seems like
the default policy of selinux kept many files from being updated
properly.

Let me know if you file a bug report so I can add to it.

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |