getting out of x

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Wed Mar 31 16:06:59 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 11:00, Joel Grimes wrote:
> > Noob question here - and forgive me for ranting, but it's just KILLING me!
> >
> > How do I get the hell out of X?  I've become so frustrated with that
> > damned automatic-restart-x thing that i wanted to resort to violence.
> > When, out of desparation, I hit ctrl-alt-backspace it keeps reloading
> > it.  When I do that you'd think it would GET THE POINT THAT I WANT OUT!
> > (arg!.... I feel better now)
>On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:01, Will Backman wrote:
> As root, telinit 3

Alternately, if you just want to get to a console (but keep X going in
the 'background'), just Ctrl-Alt-[F1..F6] to switch to one of the
virtual consoles.   You can do the telinit 3 from one of the consoles if
you don't want to/can't have a session in X :-)

Ben
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca
http://www.metacon.ca/ascii    / \     Yahoo Messenger: ben_steeves