ARRGH! Metacity is killing me.

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Sat May 1 03:22:25 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Matthew Miller wrote:

> The question is: how can I change the window manager Gnome uses to
> something a little more _flexible? I've got Window Maker installed,
> but then I discovered that the new GNOME apparently has no visible
> option for changing window manager.

What i did.

# cat /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Window\ Maker\ -\ GNOME
#!/bin/bash

exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession wmaker-gnome
# cat /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.wmaker-gnome
#!/bin/bash
# (c) 2000 Red Hat, Inc.

export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/wmaker
exec /usr/bin/gnome-session

# #some older versions of DM's want sessions scripts here instead
# cp /usr/share/apps/switchdesk/Xclients.wmaker-gnome /etc/X11/dm/Sessions/

NB: Stock WindowMaker is not a "GNOME" compliant Window Manager, so
gnome-panel wont see window maker desktops (and vice versa i suspect,
but i havnt tried) and GNOME apps do strange things with focus if you
change windowmaker desktop. (presumably because WindowMaker is
broken, because, after all, years of things working or working in a
certain way do not matter, they must be borken if GNOME says they
are).  There are patches to add support, though not for the desktops,
I have RPMs of WindowMaker 0.81.0-CVS with GNOME2 and Xft patches
under:

	http://hibernia.jakma.org/~paul/RPMS/

regards,
	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
Remember, God could only create the world in 6 days because he didn't
have an established user base.