Hypertreading faster myth or truth?

George Washington Dunlap III dunlapg at umich.edu
Sat May 1 14:23:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Christian B. Ellsworth Capo wrote:

> Intel says that a cpu with HT turned on is faster, but is that true for
> Linux? and for FC2 as well?, I have seen some @intel.com posts so a
> Intel Inside view could be very interesing.

It probably would be interesting, but I'd think an Intel employee would be
the last person to post something like that to a public list, unless it
had been vetted by PR first. :-)

I did some benchmarks on a kernel build awhile back, and "make -j4
bzImage" was about 20% faster with HT turned on; I believe this was a
linux 2.4.18 kernel.

 -George

--