nVidia RIVA TNT - any success story?ll

Kenny Speer kenny.speer at comcast.net
Mon May 3 04:16:44 UTC 2004

You're kidding right?  Did you RTFM on the drivers?  Run their "binary"
with -x and guess what?  You have the full source, complete and ready to
be hacked which I have done in order to get APM working when they
decided to comment all of the code out (i admit quite awhile ago).  Try
it again, while they might not be GPL (i didn't bother to verify) they
do provide the source.  I don't have an NVidia in this laptop but here
is your source:

[kspeer at ks-fedlin64 nv]$ ls
conftest.sh          nv.c         nv-misc.h       os-interface.h
gcc-version-check.c  nv.h         nvtypes.h       os-registry.c
makedevices.sh       nv-kernel.o  os-agp.c        README
Makefile             nv-linux.h   os-agp.h        rmretval.h
Makefile.kbuild      nv-memdbg.h  os-interface.c
[kspeer at ks-fedlin64 nv]$ pwd
/home/downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-5332-pkg0/usr/src/nv
[kspeer at ks-fedlin64 nv]$

On your other pointsL
1.  have fun, there it is
2.  ok, you got me, but in reality if you really want optimized drivers
you always need to go to the vendor and they hardly want to let folks
redistribute due to business logic
3.  if you're looking for src, why is this a big deal?  With many many
features you need to mod config files by hand, this is the way of linux
today
4.  ok, well the average user doesn't update libraries making point 3
moot, removing and re-installing a kernel module can be easily scripted
for anyone who cares to do so
5.  don't update your kernel as often, the average user doesn't change
their kernel, in fact this is why major vendors such as RH have the
*kernel* as skipped packages as the default for updates.

You could find many many ways to bash vendors, I personally would rather
like to see more act like NVidia.  Where are my Broadcom drivers for
54G?  Or the ATI drivers?  Or my ACPI support from my laptop vendor?
NVidia is farther along than any other vendor I know of in supporting Linux.