FYI: Script I wrote- Fedorasync.sh

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Mon May 3 08:21:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:51, Efthym wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2004 13:26:55 +0800, Chris Kloiber <ckloiber at ckloiber.com>
> wrote:
>
> > For those who don't know rsync or mkisofs well, but want to make daily
> > dvd isos of rawhide, and as a side benefit have a local yum repo, I
> > wrote a script for you.
> >
> > ftp://people.redhat.com/ckloiber/FedoraSync.sh
> >
> > Usage: FedoraSync.sh <options> <arch> <source_repo> <local_directory>
> > -live     No changes are made to the local copy without this.
> > -del      Passes --delete to rsync, files not existing at the
> >           source are removed in the local tree.
> > -paranoid 'touch' all local files, makes rsync verify them
> >           and avoids corruption. Takes a little longer, but
> >           I highly recommend it.
> > -iso      After rsync is complete, create a dvd iso from the
> >           local tree.
> > *Note:    -iso enables -live, -del, and -paranoid
> > -ssh      Passes -e ssh to rsync, so you can use rsync over
> >           ssh connections.
> > arch is one of: i386, x86_64, or ppc (ppc untested)
> > Options can now be given in any order, or ommitted to use
> > built-in defaults.
> >
> > I recommend you start by copying your latest CD's or DVD to
> > /var/ftp/pub/rawhide/$ARCH, (as that is the default local directory my
> > script uses) then run the script to update that copy to save on
> > bandwidth a bit.
> >
> > Enjoy, but please use an rsync mirror near you. As configured it will
> > use rsync://mirror.linux.duke.edu/fedora-linux-core-development but we
> > don't want to overload that mirror. Other rsync mirrors can be found at:
> >
> > http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
> >
> > You may have to hunt a bit for the right path at first. When you get it
> > right, running it with just -del will show which old files will be
> > deleted, and which will be created. You should not see the arch in the
> > path of any output. You will see Fedora, isolinux, headers, etc at the
> > beginning of the test output. Running with -live (or -live -del
> > -paranoid) will update the local tree, but not make an iso. Using -iso
> > will enable -live -del and -paranoid automatically, and build an iso
> > suitable for booting (Yes, it works for me on both i386 and x86_64).
> > Speaking of x86_64 you can override the arch of the system running the
> > script to download and burn an x86_64 iso. You might be able to make an
> > iso for ppc, however I doubt it will boot unless isolinux is supported
> > there as well. (I have not tested ppc at all as I don't have one. If you
> > make it work, send patches!)
> >
> > As a side benefit to all this, the yum headers get downloaded and placed
> > in your anonymous ftp tree, as well as on the DVD iso. You can then use
> > either as a local yum repository, further saving bandwidth if you have
> > many machines to update.
> >
> > Have fun, I am. :)
> >

> This is great ! I'll finish my exams in 3 days (finally!!) and I would
> like to try an installation from scratch. Only problem is I haven't got a
> [...]

There is no physical list, but there is a script in anaconda to do that.
I just have not gotten a "round tuit" yet. It is direction I'd like to
go with my script.

In the mean time, I see that 8x DVD+/-RW drives are on sale for $79
after rebate at stores like CompUSA and Office Depot
(http://www.techbargains.com). If you are not in the USA, I hope you can
find similar deals in your area. :)

--
Chris Kloiber