cdwriter

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Mon May 3 21:44:39 UTC 2004

Ted wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 12:17, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Ted wrote:
>>
>>>I have both Fedora and Debian on my drive...Debian will burn cd's ok and
>>>cdrecord -scanbus tells me the burner is 0,0,0 whereas Fedora tells me 1,0,0
>>>and in Fedora I get an error message...
>>>scsidev: 'ATA'
>>>devname: 'ATA'
>>>scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>>>Warning: Using badly designed ATAPI via /dev/hd* interface.
>>>Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
>>>
>>>I notice I do not call for ide=scsi in the grub boot in fedora yet I do in the
>>>working Debian on the older kernel....
>>
>>The 2.6 kernel uses the ide-cd driver instead. Sometimes the CDROM needs
>>this added to the grub.conf file.
>>

>>>I have checked in /dev and the link is ok to hcd so anyone tell me
>>>where I am going wrong ??
>>
>>/dev/cdrom or /dev/cdwriter? (pointing to /dev/hdc)
>>
>>I'm on an FC1 nstallation right now. ls -la /dev/cd* gives me the below
>>output. FC2 of course should be different.
>>
>>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     9 Jan  2 17:07 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
>>lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  3 06:52 /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/sg0
>>
>>Have you tried to burn using the nautilus CD burner feature? (right
>>click on ISO file. Choose write to CD.)
>>
>>Jim
>

> [root at box1 dev]# ls -la cd*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Apr 29 20:59 cdrom -> /dev/hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Apr 29 20:59 cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd
> brw-rw----  1 root disk 15, 0 Feb 23 21:02 cdu31a
> brw-rw----  1 root disk 24, 0 Feb 23 21:02 cdu535
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  3 10:18 cdwriter -> /dev/hdc
> [root at box1 dev]#
>
> This is what I get...so the cdwriter is seen however Nautilus
> says I have no cdwriter but the kde hardware gui se the cdwriter
> I have tried ide=scsi in Grubfor hdc but no joy....

My installation of Fedora Core 2 with two cd burners has this symlinked
to the drives. I burned ISOs with hdc and it worked great. It appears
that the symlinks are correct.

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Mar 10 11:41 cdrom -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 Mar 10 11:41 cdrom1 -> /dev/hdd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  2 11:02 cdwriter -> /dev/hdc
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root     8 May  2 11:02 cdwriter1 -> /dev/hdd

In my grub.conf file, I have made the entries in it listed below. The
first entry is without the ide-cd entry. It is the entry that I burned
my last CDs with.
The second entry is what I had to enter to get my cdwriters to work
before. It has been awhile since I tried that entry. It used to work for
me though. I'm sure that your entries will be a bit different for your
setup.

I hope this helps get you able to burn CDs. If not, check bugzilla for
cdrom burning problems.

Jim

title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.327)
         root (hd1,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro root=LABEL=/ selinux=0 acpi=on 3
         initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.327.img
title FTP Core (2.6.5-1.327)
         root (hd1,4)
     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro root=LABEL=/1 hdc=ide-cd hdd=ide-cd 3
         initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.327.img