Status of FireWire/IEEE1394/SBP2 in FC2?

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed May 5 18:23:05 UTC 2004

On May  5, 2004, RaXeT <maxer1 at xmission.com> wrote:

> Well I just don't understand. I can compile the firewire drivers in
> any of the kernels.  Currently working very well in
> 2.6.5-1.350. Again why can't someone just go in and make the drivers
> modules in any future kernel is beyond me.

The problem is that arjan got a lot of bug reports about boxes hanging
on boot, and it turned out to be a problem with firewire, so he took
it out, and now he won't turn it back up unless he's proven ieee1394
is fixed.  I know for fact that it isn't fixed, so we got into sort of
a stalemate.  He talked me into believing it might be too risky to
ship FC2 with firewire support that would prevent even the installer
from booting for people who happen to have firewire controllers but
don't care about them (the majority), and that we'd be better off
shipping without firewire and issuing an update with it enabled, and
meanwhile I'd work on supplying people with firewire support for the
installer and the shipped kernel until this update goes out.

I understand this is not ideal for a number of firewire users, myself
included, but it sounded like a reasonable trade off to me.
Unfortunate, but reasonable.

> It's always worked and I have had absolutely no hangups.

FWIW, me too.  Except when it was really really broken, as in 2.6.5,
before the recent 2.6.6-rc* fixes.

I hope this clarifies the current situation.