HP Scanner Difficulties

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Thu May 6 01:42:51 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:

> One thing I notice is that your scanner should be using the file
> /proc/bus/usb/003/004, so change the permission of that file:
>
> chmod a+w /proc/bus/usb/003/004

Yes, I copied that command after I had replugged it in (it changed) but
it doesn't work even when making sure of correct ports/permissions.

> Have you updated to sane-backends-1.0.13-6 from
> ftp://people.redhat.com/twaugh/tmp/sane-backends/ ?

[root at localhost root]# rpm -q sane-backends
sane-backends-1.0.13-6

> After that package is updated, you will find a file
> /etc/usb/libsane.usermap which will contain the correct information
> for you to update the /etc/sane.d/hp.conf properly.  The entry in that
> file should be of the form
>
> usb 0x____ 0x____.

Did you mean /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap? My scanner isn't in
there, it is supported by the hpoj backend. Is there another file for
this backend?

Tim Waugh Wrote:

>For PSC devices you should install libsane-hpoj -- my multifunction
>scanner is working very well here and has been since FC1.

[root at localhost root]# rpm -q libsane-hpoj
libsane-hpoj-0.91-6

Is there some kind of config file I need to run first though? As I am
not running any hpoj files or binaries, (except the one started by
Kudzu). The scanner was auto found by kudzu as below snip from
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf shows:

class: OTHER
bus: USB
detached: 0
driver: unknown
desc: "Hewlett-Packard psc 1200 series"
usbclass: 0
usbsubclass: 0
usbprotocol: 0
usbbus: 3
usblevel: 1
usbport: 0
usbdev: 2
vendorId: 03f0
deviceId: 2f11
usbmfr: Hewlett-Packard
usbprod: psc 1200 series

Sorry for leaving this info out in the original post.

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 3 *x86_64*