Drive errors after upgrade to kernel-2.6.5-1.351

Kevin Francis kevin at arslinux.com
Thu May 6 16:35:07 UTC 2004

First of all, is this the right ML to report this to?

I've been experiencing a rather peculiar error. The error itself appears
harmless, but is often a prelude to drive failure.

>From my syslog:

May  6 23:40:17 aerie kernel: hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 {
DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

That error was received upon reboot with kernel-2.6.5-1.351. Before
that, I never received this error. Upon rebooting with the kernel
preceding it, the error disappeared. This error is familiar to me, as I
had one other machines drive fail, and it started with this particular
error. The hardware is unrelated to the current one.

My hardware:

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (barton)
MSI VIA KT6V motherboard w/ KT600 chipset

The hard disk output from smartctl -a /dev/hda:

Device Model:     Maxtor 6Y080L0
Serial Number:    Y2DF4YKE
Firmware Version: YAR41BW0
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   7
ATA Standard is:  ATA/ATAPI-7 T13 1532D revision 0
Local Time is:    Fri May  7 00:31:51 2004 MYT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

Any other information will be made available if needed. Thanks.

--
Kevin Francis
<http://denial.loose-screws.com>