cyrus-imap

Pawel Salek pawsa-gpa at theochem.kth.se
Fri May 7 14:56:03 UTC 2004

On 2004.05.07 15:12, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 14:20, Ken Snider <ksnider at flarn.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any information (anecdotal or otherwise) on the
> performance of
> > cyrus versus UW-IMAPd on really big mailboxes (more than 1 gig/30k
> > messages)? Or is this exclusively a function of mailbox format?
>
>  If you use mbox or mbox+ formats then performance will suck terribly
> on large  mail boxes.  For decent performance you need either Maildir
> or a  database,  although I suspect that most mail servers will have
> some performance  issues  with such a large mailbox regardless of
> format.

The recommended mailbox format for UW-IMAP is mbx - other mailbox
formats are just for compatibility with other software. What is the
mbox+ format that you are referring to? I do not see it mentioned in
the list of mailbox formats supported by UW-IMAP[1].

Regarding the performance, it really depends on what you do. Cyrus
makes it easier to setup large "sealed" imap servers, tends to use less
memory per connection (the difference - from my experience - is not
large) and usually opens mailboxes bit faster. On the other hand, if
you do lot of searches, UW-IMAP is definetely superior. Otherwise, they
are pretty similar.

Pawel

[1]. http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/drivers.txt.html