startup applications and rhgb

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 8 06:03:24 UTC 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 19:50, Bob Gill wrote:
>Hi.  I have one bug and one question.  The bug is with rhgb (the
> RedHat graphical boot) in /boot/grub/grub.conf.  I found that with
> certain kernels (and I don't know exactly it works with some and
> not others), it kills the boot process at the login prompt (and
> actually kills the box) while using nvidia (binary) drivers.  I
> have tested with a few kernels where the system stalls/dies at the
> graphical login when using rhgb, but is successful after removing
> it (no graphical boot, but no system crash either).  In all cases,
> the graphical boot process is successful.  I suspect the problem
> may be related to switching from the graphical boot window to the
> login prompt window (restarting X).  As Nvidia binaries are not
> standard issue, it might not be a bug so much as a warning to other
> people wanting to use these drives....
>  The (unrelated to the above) question I have is: where (in FC2) is
>there a place where I can run an application at GNOME startup?  In
> FC1 (and RedHat9) there was a place where you could run GNOME/gui
> startup apps.  I am tempted to use (from the GConf editor)
>desktop/accessibility/startup, but surely there must be a better
> place to run my application.
>Thanks,
>Bob
I find that background apps, such as setiathome, heyu and a few others
are best run from /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  But you have no gfx available
at that point so launchng a gui app does mke a lot of sense there.

I'd imagine there is a similar file one could edit in the X startup,
but I have NDI which it might be.  Thats a question for X experts.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)