FC2T3 no DMA available on /dev/hda

Ron McKown fedora at ventura.nu
Sat May 8 14:12:12 UTC 2004

I am using FC2T3 and having a strange problem getting DMA activated on
my IDE drive (/dev/hda).  My primary drive (/dev/sda) is a SATA drive
and works wonderfully.

hdparm -cd /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

If I remove my SATA drive (/dev/sda) and install FC2T3 directly onto the
IDE drive (/dev/hda), then DMA is activated on the device.

My motherboard is an Intel 865PE.

I dual boot this computer (both OS on the SATA drive) and WindowsXP
reports DMA as active on the secondary /dev/hda device.

Anyone have a clue what is happening here?

Ron McKown