Release Name and Democracy? (Dusty Bradshaw)

d_bradsh at bellsouth.net d_bradsh at bellsouth.net
Sat May 8 20:38:32 UTC 2004

     Lately I've been reflectig on what the release name of FC2 is going to be. Im excited to see FC2 nearing release. I think that the release name vetting process should follow more closely along the Fedora philosophy.

    Before Fedora, RedHat came up with the release names. The rightly did this because all development was done in house, and mostly the testing was done in house.  Now that Fedora is here, and is more community supported, and tested, why don't we have a place to pick a release name we like from a list of 5 or 6, and vote on what the release name is. The name with the most votes, wins. I think it would be an excellent way for the community at large to have some input, and feel like they are more of a part of Fedora. It also might lead to some really cool names being chosen. Of course all release names would have to be reviewed and passed by the advisory committee before being voted on. I just think it would cool. I alone may be of this opinion. I may not. Anyway the voting tool could be something like /. does, and it or a link could be placed on either:

http://fedora.redhat.com
or
http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/

anyway, hope you all have a nice weekend.  :))