Status of CIFS?

Mike Jang michael at ywow.org
Sun May 9 13:42:28 UTC 2004

Folks,

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 00:42, William Hooper wrote:
> I've got to messing around with CIFS support on FC2T3 and seem to be
> having authentication issues (mount error 13 = Permission denied), even
> against localhost.  I've found a bug about it (119766), but it digresses
> into issues with smbfs.  Is smbfs going to be the preferred method?

First, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, maybe
a Samba newsgroup would be more helpful. From what I've seen, longer
term, Microsoft may be moving away from CIFS. They're working on WinFS,
to come out with Longhorn probably about 2006. I gather the Samba folks
are analyzing the system based on the available Longhorn betas.

Microsoft seems to be patenting a number of things related to WinFS. But
I think by definition, open source developers are skilled at reverse
engineering. So longer term, substantial changes may be coming to smbfs.

Thanks,
Mike