Call for Yum Frontend

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Sun May 9 14:51:48 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>Thanks for the kind words.

No problem :)

>look on the fedora-config-list and you can see some of that discussion
>there.
>
>I've been rewriting considerable portions of yum with this in mind.
>
>it takes time, b/c I'm trying to keep from making a bunch of the same
>mistakes and getting rid of the 'download all the headers' requirement
>that everyone seems to hate.
>
>-sv

Now that I am subscribed to the Fedora Config list I see that there
isn't much traffic so can you summarize for us what has and has not been
done? Also what we can do to help you?

shrek-m wrote:

> absolutely correct,
> we are missing since a very long time a true gui *package management
> tool*
> which gives us all the possibilities from
> rpm, (rpmbuild), up2date, yum, apt, ...
>
> - add/remove new rhn-sources: yum, apt, dir, ...
> - install/update/freshen/remove single/multiple packages via ftp,
> http, dir, ...
> - list/search  installed/not-installed  packages
> - ...

> i could not find these improvements.
> afair in system-config-packages fc2t1  were some new features,
> but it seems the these were removed

So are the redhat devs still working on this or should we (the users)
take it upon ourselves to start a project on sourceforge?

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 3 *x86_64*