Status of CIFS?

Mike Jang michael at ywow.org
Sun May 9 16:57:34 UTC 2004

Dear William,

On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 12:48, William Hooper wrote:
> Mike Jang said:
> > Folks,
> >
> > On Sun, 2004-05-09 at 00:42, William Hooper wrote:
> > They're working on WinFS,
>
> WinFS is a file system, not a network protocol.

Even though WinFS is a file system, it is seen as a threat to
interoperability with Linux/Unix systems, and the Samba folks are at
work on the issue.

While it's difficult to predict the result a couple of years ahead of
time, I suspect that there will be significant changes to smbfs (which I
think was the original question) in that time frame.

I think Microsoft wants to prevent its userbase from moving to Linux,
and I think CIFS works too well with Linux in their view. That is why I
suspect that Microsoft is going to move away from CIFS.

If you have more up-to-date information, I'd like to know.

Thanks,
Mike