Call for Yum Frontend

Jason Knight tuxpenguin at austin.rr.com
Sun May 9 23:33:35 UTC 2004

Sean Earp wrote:

> SuSE just (or is in the process of) GPL'ing it's YAST tool (which
> combines the basic functions of Anaconda, system-config-packages, and
> up2date/yum)
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5175682.html?tag=nefd_top
>
> (donning flame suite now...)
>
> -Sean ;)

"And Red Hat is happy with its own management software. "We've been
shipping and fine-tuning our tools for configuration and management for
some years now," company spokeswoman Leigh Day said." :-X

I actually think this is a great idea. Why not use the available
resources that are out there? Why reinvent the wheel? Of course we don't
need all of YAST, just the program manager part.

Seth Vidal wrote:

>There are people who are red hat developers and people who are not red
>hat devs who are working on parts to make this happen. I know some red
>hat developers are very interested in making this work.
>
>It's not an overnight project, but it is something I'd love to see be
>available in at least an early-version by FC3.

Where is development of this taking place? Is there anyway to
contribute? Perhaps discuss the usage of parts of YAST?

--
Jason Knight
Fedora Core 2 Test 3 *x86_64*