MySQL and Apache Updates

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Mon May 10 19:06:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:07:13PM -0400, Ken Snider wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>
> | The situation still has not really changed since we brought it up in
> | June 2004.
>
> I assume you mean 2003. ;)

Ha, you're right, this really has been dragging on for that long, wow!

> Also, I'd like to submit, again, that yes, the situation has changed.. See:
> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/foss-exception.html

I'm just referring to whether or not we can include MySQL 4.0 in Fedora
Core.  That situation has not changed at all, unfortunately.  There was
a similarly well-intentioned web page back then, too, FWIW.

> | Additionally, and I'll keep repeating this: changes made to the MySQL
> | web site do not affect the licensing of released MySQL tarballs.  It
> | makes no difference what press releases are made or what web pages are
> | updated, until tarballs hit the ground which are licensed with the new
> | exception.  That hasn't happened yet.
>
> This appears true, but knowing that the above satisfies requirements assists
> in evangelism - if we know that the license is now acceptable, it merely needs
> to be in the tarballs, that allows for a more focused effort to be unleashed
> against MySQL AB.

Right, but the current foss-exception.html page does *not* satisfy the
requirements for inclusion of a future MySQL release in FC, in case that
wasn't clear already.

Regards,

joe