getting ACPI suspend to work (on Dell Inspiron)

paul verstraete paul.verstraete at mech.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon May 10 20:16:26 UTC 2004

On Fr, 2004-05-07 at 18:05, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 05:11:04PM +0200, Christian Menzel wrote:
> > This might be a stupid question, but is it possible to compile the
> > kernel with APM enabled and have things working as before in 2.4.x
> > kernels?
>
> Boot with "acpi=off" and try that

Yes, that did the trick!
When using "acpi=off" apmd is started when booting and everything is
working as before, no need to recompile since apm support is build into
the kernel.

Thank you,
Christian
--
Christian Menzel <chris menzel com>

For me, it's surely didn't do the trick!!
I tried this on an inpsiron 2500. The apmd was started allright. When I issued /usr/bin/apm -s as root the system
did seem to go into suspend mode. However, it didn't come out anymore. The system seemed to boot, normally, but the screen never turned on again. Booting from
a cdrom, booting into linux, trying to login as root and halt the system, trying the Fn + d combination (to get the screen back on). Nothing! No screen.
Anybody having a suggestion how to get out of this?