CD-ROM drive stopped working after upgrade

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Mon May 10 23:50:55 UTC 2004

On 2004.05.10 04:11, Ted wrote:
> On Saturday 08 May 2004 13:39, you wrote:
> > I already have this entry (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.327 ro
> > root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi rhgb nofb). I didn't put it there so I guess
> > Anaconda did. But my CD drive is still not working.
>
> Yes but after LABEL you have  hdc=ide-scsi....

Because the 2.6.5-1.nnn kernels do not have the ide-scsi module built,
having a hdx=ide-scsi boot parameter effectively renders that device
inoperable. Other drivers, such as ide-cd, will refuse to attach to hdx
in this case. You need ide-cd to attach to your CD-R[W] for cd writing.

>                                                 I have to have just ide-scsi..

The only possible reason that this does anything for you is this fragment
of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit :

# If they asked for ide-scsi, load it
if strstr "$cmdline" ide-scsi ; then
        modprobe ide-cd >/dev/null 2>&1
        modprobe ide-scsi >/dev/null 2>&1
fi

It forces ide-cd to load (the attempt to load ide-scsi will fail because it
is not there). So for some reason on your system ide-cd doesn't load without
this "help". That "help" should not be necessary, and indeed your friends'
(and my) experience confirms that...

Regards, Willem Riede.