2.6 and Blanking Screen

Quasar Jarosz masterra at m-ra.net
Thu May 13 12:15:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Jim Cornette wrote:

> Jason KRISCH wrote:
> > I was wondering if anyone else on this list was experiencing similar
> > results:
> >
> > With FC2T3 on my laptop (HP Pavilion ze5200) I had several issues with
> > the screen going blank (and the backlight turning off too) during boot.
> > It seemed to happen at random places at different times during boot.
> > The system
> > would be locked as far as I could tell and I had to power off.  I have
> > since tried passing "vga=773" or "vga=normal" to the kernel at boot time
> > and both seem to get me past the screen going blank.  (I also pass
> > "psmouse.proto=imps" so I can tap-click with my touchpad.)
> >
> > However, when I exit X - no matter what runlevel I am running in, the
> > screen goes immediately blank, backlight is powered off, and as far as I
> > can tell
> > the laptop is locked up.  This applies to "Log Out", "Reboot", and
> > "Shutdown".  I have found no related entries in my logs.  I have also
> > tried passing "acpi=off" to the kernel.
> >
> > Anyone else have issues like this?  I think it is a 2.6 issue more than
> > a FC2 issue.
>
> I have an hp ze4315us that has a VGA compatible controller: ATI
> Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1.
>
> I tried the 2.5 kernel on it. It seemed to work alright then. (Shutting
> down X) - That was back awhile ago.
>
> I'd suspect the problem to be with xorg or some other non-kernel issue.
>
> I might try to install the 2.6 kernel on this machine to see if the
> kernel is not the problem. I stayed at FC1 because of the touchpad
> issue. (Doesn't just work).
>
> About acpi, I cannot boot without acpi. My laptop freezes up at boot
> without it.
>
> Follow-up after installing the latestv Fedora Core 2 kernel on FC1. I'd
> like to try FC2, but was waiting for the synaptic touchpad issue to be
> cleared up.
>
> Jim

I've got a Pavillion ze4430us, with the same ATI Mobility U1 card, that
FC2 auto-detects and uses the radeon driver with. I have no problems on
any of the latest kernels. I've seen the blanking problem on other
laptops, but have had no trouble with this one. It works just fine for me.
I'd really like the hardware aceleration to work.. but i guess i'll have
to wait on it.

As for the synaptics touch-pad, it was sad that it's not auto-detected,
however, given that the FC2 release date is very close at hand, unless
it's arleady been "fixed", i doubt support will be in the official FC2
release.

I can say however, that setting it up was very easy - just grab the
synaptics driver, unzip, compile, install, and change the driver lines in
your xorg.conf, just like the install file from the driver says. It works
great after that, no problems at all.

-Quasar