Fedora Core 2 feedback (user perspective)

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri May 14 01:21:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:10:54PM -0400, Robert La Ferla wrote:
> Although, I am a developer, as a user, I would really like to see
> Mozilla come better configured with the Java, and Flash plug-ins
> pre-installed.  RealPlayer would be a plus.  Or at least somehow make
> installation/configuration easier for users.  I'm not sure how much
> control Fedora developers have over this but it would make Fedora much
> more user friendly.  I also think that putting at least one DVD player
> (like Xine) in the distro would be a good thing.  A user should be able

Unfortunately, there's no Free / Open Source software that can accomplish
those things. Java, Flash, and RealPlayer are all very tightly licensed and
can't be just redistributed. (And, even if they had slightly more lax
licenses, Fedora is still only based on completely open-source software.)
And DVD playing is right out, because there's all sorts of legal encumbrance
hanging over the free players, and commercial software would have the same
issue as the other things you mention.