final release

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Sat May 15 07:57:23 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 06:05, Michael Cullen wrote:
> why do we have to wait for it to get to all the mirrors?
> why cant we just download it from whichever mirror has it!!!
>
> also, when I tried test 3, it tried to set up the graphics, but sent the
> monitor into standby mode!

1) Because the mirrors are "tiered". In other words, there are a few
mirrors who get the bits directly from Red Hat, then there are other
mirrors who get the bits from those who got the bits from Red Hat. If
the first tier mirrors opened public downloads early, then the second
group of mirrors would not be able to get the bits as they had to fight
for connections. Thus everyone would be complaining that they could not
get the bits.

2) Your monitor is getting a signal it can't handle, and is shutting
down to protect itself. Try a text mode install.

--
Chris Kloiber