Red Hat Introduces Desktop Linux Competitor

Gregory G Carter gcarter at aesgi.com
Sat May 15 14:56:09 UTC 2004

I could say the reason why RedHat dislikes KDE and goes for GNOME is
because GNOME developers do not understand OOP methdologies and are
simpletons....

But that would start a fight.  :-)

You also have to understand the reason why both desktops exist in the
first place.  Qt which powers KDE's environment initally had licensing
issues and I think that sorta burned a lot of people.  All the burned
people go together and created GTK, which powers GNOME.

Qt is fully GPL'ed on the Linux platform, but not on Windows.  Windowsn
will be going away soon anyway so that isn't a big deal.

:-)

But seriously, I would like the LSB project to step in here and say the
official LSB standard is GNOME and KDE and the standard requires
interoperability and more importantly a choice for end users.

I think it comes down to everyone trying to be the Linux Desktop of the
future choice.  It is easier for end users if you don't mix and match
GNOME and KDE applications to prevent confusion.

GNOME is certainly EASIER to install than KDE, which is farm more
complex than GNOME to build and install from scratch, let alone
configure after it is installed in the first place.

Perhaps the choice was simply based on Utility....

-gc

PS: I prefer KDE.  :-)