final release

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sat May 15 18:52:42 UTC 2004

Damian Menscher wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004, William Hooper wrote:
>
>>Eugen Leitl said:
>>
>>>This isn't applicable for torrents and freecache. There's no point not to
>>>open those once you have a master, and an initial seed community.
>>
>>Which would lead to a firehose of "I can't use bittorrent, why isn't it on
>>the mirrors" posts.
>>
>>Is it really so terrible to wait a couple of days?
>

> Yes, it really is.  Here the school semester just ended, and students
> are away for a few days.  It's the perfect time to upgrade, and I'd been
> planning it for this time ever since the 5/3 release was predicted.  In
> another few days the users will be back.
>
> Isn't the entire point of a torrent that it goes fast for everyone, and
> faster if more people use it?  Wouldn't the mirrors get it faster that
> way?  Though personally I have to wonder why mirrors still exist.  Those
> who use them *should* be penalized.

I still feel uncomfortable with p2p transfers. Also, I don't like the
idea of getting the download in fragments and then reconstructed. I
would rather get transfers from mirrors with a pretty good reputation,
instead of a bits and pieces download and reconstructed files.

Jim

   Some random analogies: carpool lane

--
What happened last night can happen again.