Some problems with FC2T3

Fernando Perez fperez at colorado.edu
Sat May 15 20:13:37 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I'd like to report some issues with a recent install of FC2T3 which I haven't
found on the list or in bugzilla yet.  If they are confirmed, I can go ahead
and file bugzilla reports for them.

These notes detail various problems encountered with Fedora2.  Except for
things noted here, the installation was successful.

System description
==================

Clean, custom (over FTP) install of Fedora2 Test 3.

System: Dell Optiplex GX-270 (Pentium 4, 2.8GHz, 40 GB Hard disk, 1 GB RAM,
NVidia GeForce 4MX video card, Dell 2000FP LCD, correctly identified and
working at 1600x1200 resolution).  This machine was previously running
Fedora1, but a clean install (not an upgrade) was done.

/ was formatted with ext3, a 1 GB swap partition was also fromatted. An
existing ext3 /scratch partition was kept (it had data).

/home and /usr/local are NFS served by a RedHat9 box, and this setup had been
successfully used for about a year (first with RedHat and then with Fedora1 on
the client). The only problem was the lack of sound support under Fedora1 for
the Intel ICH5 chip: this is now working with Fedora2.

Installation Issues
===================

- Individual package selection seems to have been removed.  If a package is
not included in the default groups, it has to be manually  installed later.
Generating a nice, clean kickstart template is now much harder, since one has
to manually track packages to do it.  The old method of doing a single install
carefully and using the resulting anaconda-ks.cfg file as a starter can't be
used anymore.

- At this point, SELinux is best left off.  Set 'selinux=0 enforcing=0' as
kernel flags.  Otherwise SELinux is on, and things like rpm will generate an
endless stream of warnings.

- At the end of the install, Fedora wouldn't e hject my CD.  Minor annoyance.

BUGS
====

rsync - CRITICAL
----------------

Trying to rsync an NFS mounted directory to a usb flash drive.  The same
process worked fine on the same box under Fedora1, and still works on a
Fedora1 box next to this one.  The output of rsync is:

building file list ... done
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(342)

code 12 is a memory error.  If I try to sync a small amount of files things
work as expected, but when I attempt the rsync with the full set (approx.
300Mb), it crashes.

I am also seeing rsync problems trying to rsync some files from /etc in a
central server to this box:

/etc/cron.hourly/etc_sync:

unexpected tag 102
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(315)
unexpected tag 102
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(315)
unexpected tag 102
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(315)

This etc_sync script runs to multiple hosts, and the only one giving error
messages is the Fedora2 one.

We use rsync for a LOT of internal things daily, so if there really is an
rsync problem in Fedora2, this is an absolute showstopper for us.

system-config-users
-------------------

This simply crashes instantly:

root at planck[/etc]# system-config-users

** (system-config-users.py:8462): WARNING **: entry is incorrectly formatted

** (system-config-users.py:8462): WARNING **: entry is incorrectly formatted

** (system-config-users.py:8462): WARNING **: entry is incorrectly formatted

** (system-config-users.py:8462): WARNING **: entry is incorrectly formatted

(system-config-users.py:8462): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: file gvaluearray.c:
line 42 (g_value_array_get_nth): assertion `value_array != NULL' failed

** ERROR **: file user.c: line 658 (merge_ent_array_duplicates): should not be
reached
aborting...
/usr/share/system-config-users/system-config-users: line 4:  8462 Aborted
/usr/bin/python2 /usr/share/system-config-users/system-config-users.py

OpenOffice
----------

It simply won't start.  The splash screen comes up, and when the progress bar
finishes, it just stays there.  I tried removing the user old .openoffice
directory, but this did not help.

LVM manager

It tries to come on always during boot (I didn't configure it), and it fails.
  It's just an annoyance to see, since it doesn't seem to cause problems
otherwise.

MessageBus

The bootup message is [OK], but at shutdown it gives a [FAILED].  I don't
really know if it's a problem or not.

Thanks for any feedback,

Fernando.