Gnome vs. KDE Default in Fedora (was: Red Hat Introduces Desktop Linux Competitor)

Rory Gleeson rgleeson at childwelfare.ca
Sun May 16 22:04:08 UTC 2004

While I prefer KDE, I'm not using it in Fedora because it's buggy and
sluggish, unlike KDE in other distros, like MDK, where it's received
more attention and tweaking.

That said, I'm glad that Fedora and Red Hat products default to Gnome.
Why, you ask, if I prefer KDE?  Because, Gnome and KDE are the two main
desktops.  More users are likely to use the default desktop that their
distro installs.  Most other distros default to KDE, which will limit
the number of users who use Gnome.  Can you imagine if no major distros
defaulted to Gnome?

The more marketshare both Gnome and KDE have, the more they'll compete
and innovate.  So, I'm glad that RedHat defaults to Gnome, as it keeps
the Linux desktop market on their toes and stops one desktop from
completely dominating and then resting on its laurels, becoming boring
and dull.

For this same reason, I'm glad to see that Fedora also includes XFCE and
I hope it keeps adding the lesser-known desktops so people can try them
out, allowing those desktops the opportunity to attract new users.

Now, if only Gnome would add full transparency options for the panel and
menu. That's one KDE feature I really like.

Rory

=====
Message: 9