Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon May 17 02:34:34 UTC 2004

Gerry Tool wrote:

> Not necessarily true.  I ran into this problem installing FC2Testx
> onto an already existing Linux partition, installing GRUB onto the
> boot record for that partition, leaving the MBR alone under control of
> another linux partition.  After the install, I added the new boot
> information to the controlling grub.conf and could boot to everything
> except windows XP which was still an entry in the previously existing
> grub.conf.  I could not find a way to resurrect windows XP, so ended
> up reinstalling it.
>
> Anthony DeStefano may have pointed out a fix - first one I've heard -
> to change the BIOS to forced LBA rather than Auto.  I hope someone
> else who has this happen to them can confirm that.

I've run into this bug when test 3 was released. I was having some
issues with my computer which made me believe that the hard disk was
failing , so I always had the option to reinstall windows.. I tried to
configure the disk on the bios to use LBA , but it didnt work at all..
Looks like only in a few cases this setting solves the problem.. Here ,
I solved this by installing FC2t3 on hdb , removing hdb , installing
windows in hda , putting hdb back on system and then installing grub in
hda and reconfiguring it... Which was a PITA to do , but at least I got
my system to work..
The interesting thing is that in the bug report some people say that
this happens only with 120Gb+ disks.. This happened to me with one 40Gb
and two 80Gb disks...

--
Pedro Macedo