FC2test3 - monitor goes off when X starts

Kevin F. Quinn ml at kevquinn.com
Mon May 17 09:32:09 UTC 2004

Just an update, if anyone cares.  I tried a couple of versions of
Knoppix (3.2, 3.4) on the same system and in both, X failed to show
anything on the monitor.  Again, the text boot-up stuff was fine (fb)
but no X display, although the software thinks everything is ok.

(also tried hard-wiring the horizontal/vertical frequencies suggested by
Hannes Mayer, albeit in Knoppix rather than Fedora, but unfortunately no
luck).

Tried swapping to a different LCD panel, which worked fine.  Tried the
original panel on another machine (Dell laptop with ATI card), it worked
fine there.  Seems to be a combination of the panel ("YPL8017"), the
Medion GeForce3 Ti 200 card in the tower, and the 'nv' X video driver.

Since it occurs on other distributions, I haven't put anything in
bugzilla - it seems most likely to be something in the 'nv' X video
driver, or perhaps the DDC interactions between the monitor and the
nVidia chip.

Kev.