Gigabit ethernet cards

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon May 17 19:34:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 18 May 2004 05:19, William Lovaton <williama_lovaton at coomeva.com.co>
wrote:
> I have a haevy enterprise web application (Apache/PHP) running with 600
> users (active sessions) on a 4x SMP Pentium III 550MHz each (RH9 -
> 2.4.20smp).  Right now the poor server is very stressed and I have
> detected bottlenecks in the network (100Mbps) due to the high traffic
> between the web server and the database.  So, I am planning to make the
> leap from 100 to 1GB network.

Gigabit networking can take quite a lot of CPU power.  PHP applications are
often CPU hungry and if you are doing enough to fill a 100baseT network then
it's quite likely that you are already running low on CPU power.

If you get a new 2x SMP system (which will have more than twice the CPU power
of your existing system) you will probably have 2x Gigabit Ethernet ports on
the motherboard.  The Broadcom chipsets which seem common for such
motherboards have worked well for me in the past.