How to help? was Re: Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Geoffrey Leach geoff at direcway.com
Mon May 17 20:15:09 UTC 2004

On 05.17 06:09, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Ok , I'm tired of this discussion leading to nowhere.. So , let's get
> back on line..

[tales of woe snipped]

Not to be a Polyanma, but perhaps the reason why there has been no response from RH is that the problem is not reproducable in their environment.  Here's what I've added to 115980.

-- begin Bugzilla

Hmmmm ... but is FC2 to blame?  Here's my experience.  Windows XT installed in a 5G partition by vendor (which means that the disks were originally formatted in the XP environment).  FC2t2 installed locally, as P4-class (ie no 64-bit opts). MB is dual Opteron AccelerTech ATO2082-A with Phoenix BIOS, version 6.

%fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sda: 37.0 GB, 37019566080 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4500 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1         637     5116671    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2             638         650      104422+  83  Linux
/dev/sda3             651        4500    30925125   83  Linux

Install worked flawlessly, even detected SATA disks. SMP kernel selected  No problem with dual boot.

--- end Bugzilla

Re-reading the comments in Bugzilla, I see a lot of heat, but very little light.  In particular, I find no mention of MB mfg and BIOS mfg and version, which means we're missing potentially significant info.

Here's what I'd suggest.  Would someone with expertise in this area come up with a procedure to follow, beginning with a raw disk?  Install Windows or Linux first?  Partition setup, ....  etc.  Follow this with a set of questions to be answered, as to hardware, BIOS, etc.  Perhaps the critical factors can be discovered.

And, of course, we can all agree that anyone who does not wish to participated according to the rules looses the right to complain :-)