Serious reservations about FC2 release on 5/18

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at rogers.com
Mon May 17 21:12:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 17 May 2004 15:01:45 -0700
Michael Stenner <mstenner at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I do not mean support in the legal sense.  I mean support in the "do
> it" sense, as in "lynx supports https".  The installer offers to set
> up a dual boot system.  When asked to do so, it apparently hoses your
> system.
>
> > Everyone wants a good working system.  We're all here to work
> > towards a better system.  The point is that whining is unproductive.
> > Help the developers solve the problem or be quiet until it's fixed.
>
> A valuable part of fixing bugs is analysis of the importance of
> those bugs.  Such discussion is quite valuable, and is not the same as
> whining.

This is a fair point.   As long as people have a real understanding
about what Fedora is supposed to be.   It's not supposed to be
the rock solid aunt Tilly distribution used to convert the world
from some other operating system to Linux.   It's meant for
hobbyists and enthusiasts who can deal with problems.   Trying
to motivate developers by invoking claims of how bad it will
be for PR isn't helpful.

> You seemed to be suggesting that this issue was not a problem.
> Specifically, I felt that your comparison to windows's lack of
> dual-boot-friendliness incorrectly characterized this as a matter of
> "not supporting" dual boot.  It is more severe than that.  This is not
> a feature request for allowing dual boot.  This appears to be a
> disk-corruption issue which renders some machines unusable.

It's a problem.   Just not the end of the world given the viewpoint
of what Fedora is supposed to be.   It will get fixed.

Cheers,
Sean.