sharing /boot beween FC1 and FC2

shmuel siegel fedora at shmuelhome.mine.nu
Tue May 18 09:13:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 11:33, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to upgrade my system to FC2, but since it took a long time to get
> things going correctly in FC1 I want to dual boot both for a while
> instead of upgrading only to discover things don't work, sharing /home
> and a few data partitions. I already have a /boot partition for FC1 and
> I am wondering if I can just point the FC2 install to this during
> installation - will it add itself correctly to grub.conf, or will it
> crash my FC1 boot options ? Is this just a bad idea ?
>
> cheers Chris

In my experience with the test releases, this has not been straight
forward. I advise you to back up /boot, do the install, copy back the
old vmlinuz, System.map,  config and initrd files. Then hand merge the
old grub.conf with the new grub.conf.
But more importantly, you must use a different root partition, i.e. "/"
, or you old system will become inoperable.