Gigabit ethernet cards

William Lovaton williama_lovaton at coomeva.com.co
Tue May 18 15:18:29 UTC 2004

Hi Alan,

El lun, 17-05-2004 a las 17:18, Alan Cox escribió:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 02:19:41PM -0500, William Lovaton wrote:
> > I am afraid that it is a bad assumption to think that 1Gb will improve
> > transfer speeds just like that.  Maybe there is some deeper
> > configuration / tuning left to be done after installing the new card.
>
> Make sure you get a card that is 66Mhz and/or 64bit if your PCI busses
> can take it, and if not definitely that its on its own bus. PCI 32/33Mhz
> is too slow to make best use of gigabit.
>
> On desktop boxes the PCI bus typically ends up a bottleneck. Good servers
> tend to work out better - keep the disk and gige on different pci busses
> etc

lspci -v shows this:

02:05.0 PCI Hot-plug controller: Compaq Computer Corporation PCI Hotplug
Controller (rev 12)
        Subsystem: Compaq Computer Corporation: Unknown device a2f8
        Flags: 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 66
        Memory at f7bf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
        Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-

I can see that it is 66MHz but I'm not sure about the 32 (or 64) bit
part.  I guess that gigabit will be an improvement here.

-William