atp870u.o module?

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri May 21 04:21:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 04:23:51PM -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >One of the servers I have has a SCSI card that's supported by atp870u.o
> >in kernel 2.4.
> >
> >I see that the kernel 2.6 source RPM does have the source code for the
> >driver, but it appears that it does not get built in the binary kernel
> >RPMs. Looks like that this card is no longer supported.
> >
> >Flame deleted.
> >

> I am glad you had the sense to delete your flame, but it is useless to
> complain here.  You need to talk to upstream about this.  Unfortunately
> even complaining upstream probably wont be effective either unless you
> have something to contribute.
>
> There are many other SCSI devices unsupported or broken in the upstream
> 2.6 kernel.  In some cases Fedora volunteers and RH people have spent
> some time in fixing them (like Markus Lidel fixing I2O before FC2, or
> Alan Cox currently working on aacraid for upstream.)  Other people with
> hardware, and the fire within their heart to make it work, is the only
> way this will work for any 2.6 kernel distribution.

Case in point: I have been waiting forever to see if anybody would build
the 2.6 driver for my aging initio 9100u scsi card. Lo and behold, it appeared
in Andrew Morton's tree a few builds ago. Haven't checked to see if it is
in the mainline source yet but at least I know it is in the queue for me to
try.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg at shaw.ca