FC2 x86_64 SMP broken.

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri May 21 09:59:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:41:58PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I submitted a complete traceback to bugzilla.  Perhaps you missed that.
> The kernel crashed somewhere in its memory handler
> (cache_grow/kmem_cache_all/cache_alloc_refill) which later down the line
> was invoked by the ext3 driver.  Does not look like hardware-specific to me.

What hardware is in your box. My dual opteron seems very happy so it seems
reasonable to assume it is driver or hardware specific in some way (or even
dud ram).

It might be interesting to try booting with various other cards removed and
see if one specific card makes a mess. I've specifically seen this with
the network drivers - if I load the driver for the ethernet in the docking
bay (natsemi I believe) then the next pci device to do anything after it
loads and finds no cards crashes the system in a similar way.