What modifies the file "redhat-release" ?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Sun May 23 03:51:11 UTC 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My desktop system reports Fedora 2 after updating from rawhide prior to
> May 18.  Cool.
>
> However, my laptop may have not been so lucky.  If I were to point my
> laptop to rawhide now, I would have beyond Fedora 2, right?
> Looks like rawhide is back to full throttle.

Perhaps. You will get updated packages - don't know if there is an
updated fedora-release pacakge which changes the name back to
'rawhide'

> How can I get my laptop on Fedora 2 without using the ISO distro?  I
> think the laptop is really close if not already there but redhat-release
> still reports 1.92.

point yum to FC2 (release) repository and do 'yum update' (or upgrade)

> So, what modifies redhat-release?

When you (or yum) installs updated 'fedora-release' package. You could
check with:

rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release

Satish